March 2014 Visit Teaching Message: "The Divine Mission of Jesus Christ: Light of The World"

This month's Visit teaching message is, "The Divine Mission of Jesus Christ: Light of The World".  As I read through this month's visit teaching message I was struck by two of the scriptures the first, "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12)  I am so grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, for his exemplary life. He is the light that leads me on the path of mortal life. I know that through him and by him I can return to my Father. I know that because of his atonement I am never alone, he is walking right along side me, he knows everything I go through.

The second scripture was, "That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day." (D&C 50:24) This scripture excites me.  If we receive God and his gospel into our lives, than we will have light. What is so exciting is that if we continue living the gospel and endure then our light grows. The light shows through our countenance.  I love the song by Janice Kapp Perry, "His Image in Your Countenance". In this song it asks some questions, "Have your received his image in your countenance?" and "Does the light of Christ shine in your eyes?"  When I think about this I ask myself am I living my life they way my Savior would have me live it? When other's look at me do they see the goodness and love that our Savior always exhibited?

In the visit teaching message it has two directions at the end: "Discuss what it means to be a light to the world today."  In thinking about this, for me it means I am going to stand for the right.  There is so much going on in the world today that can be so confusing.  Having the Gospel helps us to avoid that confusion.  When we are living the gospel we can have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion.  He can help us to discern what is right from wrong.  When we receive that knowledge and light we can be an example and  share it with others.  I think about being a mom.  The best thing that I can do is help my children build a relationship with their Father in Heaven.  That they can know they can always speak to him through prayer and that his love for them in unconditional and eternal.  I also want them to have Jesus Christ be their biggest hero.  The person they look up to and strive to live their lives like.  I want them to know that the atonement was for them and that they will never be alone.  How can I share this light with them?  I think by showing my love for the Gospel, giving them my unconditional love, having the Gospel be an important part of our lives as a family, and by being a good example to them.

The second direction was, "Ponder how following the Light of Christ helps you endure trials."  As I followed this direction and pondered about how the Light of Christ helps me endure trials, I thought about being a Young Women.  I remember standing up each Sunday and repeating the Young Women theme. I remember saying that I am a daughter of God, that he loves me and I love him.  I think having the Light of Christ, has given me the identity that I am God's daughter, I know that he loves me and I love him.  I am able to endure my trials because I know that his love for me is unconditional and eternal, that he is there for me to pour my heart out to and that when times get tough, he is there to give me a boost to help me get through what I am going through. Let's face it there are tough things at every stage of life.  In the stage I am in right now, I get to juggle the business of being a mother and wife with all of my other duties.  Being a mom at times is tough. I have to rely upon my Father in Heaven to help me out as I navigate motherhood. Being a wife at times can be tough.  I know that I am going to make mistakes and that is where the atonement comes in.  I have felt the spirit as I have humbled myself and sought forgiveness for my faults. I have felt the love of my Father and my Savior.  That is was helps me endure, is their love.

Here are a couple handouts:
To print, click on image and save it to your computer. You can then print the image from your computer.



This little tag would be fun to attach to a candle or flashlight.
*** For a cute Candle craft to go with the handout click on this link: Candle Craft ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...