A Deeper Meaning of the Word PERFECTION.



What is the first thing that comes into your head as you hear the words PERFECT or PERFECTION?  In the Merriam-Webster online dictionary it defines the word perfection as, "freedom from fault or defect".  I have to admit that I have fallen victim sometimes to what the world views perfection as. It seems that we can get caught up in focusing on our flaws, physical flaws, inadequacies and places where we feel that we just don't measure up. The pressure to be perfect in the world's sense can be stressful and depressing, that is due to the fact that the more we focus on our weaknesses and have unrealistic views the unhappier we seem to be.  I recently, had one of my readers leave a comment, in this comment she expressed her concern at the name of my blog.  I am grateful for her comment and the opportunity it has allowed me to realize that not everyone views the word perfection in the same light.


As, I was thinking of what to name this blog years back when I started it, I thought of how I had the desire for this site to be a place where people could come find and share ideas and tips of life, to help each other out.  I thought about how our lives are a journey. We are sent here to earth, by a loving, caring and all knowing Heavenly Father. Our brief time on this earth is our journey to become more like him.  We are here to learn and gain knowledge, to make our own choices and to experience the consequences of those choices, and to use the atonement of Christ as we make wrong choices, as we strive to become more like him, to be perfected in him. Our relationship with our Savior and our Father in Heaven grows as we strive to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to them. The meaning of "Life's Journey to Perfection", is a deeper meaning of perfection than the worldly definition.  It is our mortal journey extending on into our eternal journey to becoming perfected through our Savior's atonement and resurrection, to becoming as our Father in Heaven is.

This morning as I was looking on lds.org, an article popped out of the screen at me. As I read this article, I knew that I had to write a post and share this article with everyone.

The article is, "Becoming Perfect in Christ", by Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the Seventy.  I encourage everyone to read this article!!

Here are some of the highlights that really had an impression on me:

"Understanding the Savior’s freely given atoning love can free us from self-imposed, incorrect, and unrealistic expectations of what perfection is. Such understanding allows us to let go of fears that we are imperfect—fears that we make mistakes, fears that we are not good enough, fears that we are a failure compared to others, fears that we are not doing enough to merit His love."

"In a broader sense, coming unto Christ and being perfected in Him places perfection within the eternal journey of our spirit and body—in essence, the eternal journey of our soul (see D&C 88:15). Becoming perfect results from our journey through physical life, death, and resurrection, when all things are restored “to their proper and perfect frame” (Alma 40:23). It includes the process of spiritual birth, which brings “a mighty change” to our hearts and dispositions (Mosiah 5:2). It reflects our lifelong refinement through Christlike service and obedience to the Savior’s commandments and our covenants. And it recognizes the perfecting relationship between the living and the dead (see D&C 128:18)."

I absolutely love this!!! This is exactly what I mean with the blog title.  

"Fully accepting our Savior’s Atonement can increase our faith and give us courage to let go of constraining expectations that we are somehow required to be or to make things perfect. Black-and-white thinking says everything is either absolutely perfect or hopelessly flawed. But we can gratefully accept, as God’s sons and daughters, that we are His greatest handiwork (see Psalm 8:3–6Hebrews 2:7), even though we are still a work in progress."

"In the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior commands us: “Be ye therefore perfect” (Matthew 5:48). The Greek word for perfect can be translated as “complete, finished, fully developed” (in Matthew 5:48, footnote b). Our Savior asks us to become complete, finished, fully developed—to be perfected in the virtues and attributes He and our Father in Heaven exemplify."

I must say, that I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that knows me, he knows the desires of my heart. He knows the things that I struggle with, he knows my weaknesses as well as my strengths. I am so grateful that he knew that we needed a Savior to reach our divine potential. I love my Savior. I have felt his love as I have used his atonement in my life. My relationship has been strengthened with him and I feel his nearness as I strive to live my life in accordance with his teachings. I have felt the Holy Ghost testify of the Savior! I know he lives that he is there to help me when I need him. His love as well has the Father's love is unconditional!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...